Tuesday

My Neighbor Steve....

My neighbor Steve is an odd bird. He even kind of looks like a bird, one of those flighty ones that flit about in the late evenings, maybe like a bat but with blonde hair and tight lycra shorts.

At least once a week I'll catch Steve doing something that makes me do a double-take. Like last night. He was washing his truck by the light of a single spotlight by his garage door. At midnight.

Steve has a day job working at a church. Married, two teenage daughters. Seemed normal when I first met him and he's always been pleasantly polite. But for whatever reason, he likes doing house chores late at night. Last week I caught him trimming his hedges with what appeared to be tiny manicure scissors... this time by the light of the spotlight on the other side of the house, because it was 1 a.m.